Did you know that the United States’ logistics business is a $1.6 trillion industry? And while that number is projected to continue growing, it makes you wonder how this kind of industry functions.
It’s no secret. Forklifts are a key element to the logistics business. If your forklift is in dire need of repairs, it puts your business at risk.
Don’t blindly use your forklift until it breaks down completely. Here are the obvious signs that show you need forklift repairs as soon as possible.
Just like any other vehicle, forklifts also need new tires. Because they carry thousands of pounds daily, their wheels are one of the first components needing repair.
Signs to look out for:
- Flat tires: If there are parts of your forklift tires that are not well-rounded, it’s time for an immediate forklift repair
- Chunking: Just like any other heavy piece of machinery, falling chunks of a tire is a telltale sign that forklift repairs should be done soon.
- Wear and tear: Lastly, the most obvious sign that your machinery is in need of forklift repairs is worn-out tires. If your tires are 50 percent past the wear line, it is deemed unsafe and illegal in some states.
Have you checked your forklift blades recently? Dealing with inoperative forks can lead to serious injury and cost the company large money.
Here are the signs of defective forklift blades:
- There are cracks and splits on the blades
- There is a height differential between the forklift blades
- The blades are unable to lock securely
Leaking Hydraulic Hoses
When was the last time you thoroughly inspected your forklift’s hydraulic hoses? If you use your forklift on a constant basis, you increase the possibility of damage.
Want to know what to look for? Here’s a general rule of thumb:
- Oil leaks adjacent to the hose
- Cracks and abrasions
- Twisted hoses
Has your forklift been operating in optimum performance? If your answer is no, it may be time for you to check your forklifts’ filters. Not only can a congested filter decrease your fuel efficiency, but it can overheat the engine.
Fortunately, you don’t have to be a forklift guru to know your filters need to be replaced. If you begin to smell strong fumes coming from the engine, there is a strong possibility that the filters may be an issue.
If you’re in need of parts or service for a faulty forklift part, we are the company you can trust. Be sure to contact us today.
Learn About Forklift Repairs and More!
Whether you’re inquiring about forklift repairs or need a service for your machinery, we’re here to help. Finding a platform that fits all of your forklift needs can be difficult. Fortunately, we’ve created the perfect site for your material handling needs.
Need repairs or an upcoming service? We’d love to help. Feel free to contact us and a member of our team will be more than happy to guide you in the right direction.